[General Library Building]

http://libexh.library.vanderbilt.edu/impomeka/2015-exhibit/1941-PA_BLD_LIBR_13.jpg
Creation: 1941-02-14

This photograph shows the General Library Building under construction in February 1941. Built to support graduate education at Vanderbilt, Scarritt College and Peabody College for Teachers, the structure was designed by architect Henry C. Hibbs (1882-1949) in conjunction with Augustus Frederick Kulhlman, the first director of what would be called the Joint University Libraries. Today, it houses the Central (A&S) Library, the Divinity Library, the W.T. Bandy Center for Modern French Studies and Vanderbilt University Special Collections.

Title

[General Library Building]

Date

Creation: 1941-02-14

Description

This photograph shows the General Library Building under construction in February 1941. Built to support graduate education at Vanderbilt, Scarritt College and Peabody College for Teachers, the structure was designed by architect Henry C. Hibbs (1882-1949) in conjunction with Augustus Frederick Kulhlman, the first director of what would be called the Joint University Libraries. Today, it houses the Central (A&S) Library, the Divinity Library, the W.T. Bandy Center for Modern French Studies and Vanderbilt University Special Collections.

Rights

Copyright; licensed to Vanderbilt University

Source

Vanderbilt University Photographic Archives

Files

http://libexh.library.vanderbilt.edu/impomeka/2015-exhibit/1941-PA_BLD_LIBR_13.jpg

Citation

“[General Library Building],” Gallery, accessed October 16, 2019, https://gallery.library.vanderbilt.edu/items/show/1048.